Carnoustie Ladies’ Golf Club was established in August 1873 for the benefit of the wives of the members of the Dalhousie Golf Club. These ladies played over an 18 hole, par 3 golf course which stretched westwards from the Lochty Burn. The course was on land donated for the ladies’ use by a Miss Kinloch. The upkeep of the golf course was paid for entirely at the expense of the members who hired their own greenkeeper. The ladies also owned their own green keeping equipment! Unlike today, the golf season at that time was very short, usually from July to September which coincided with the influx of summer residents from Dundee, Edinburgh and surrounding areas, to the seaside resort of Carnoustie. In 1875, the annual subscription to the club was 2/6d (12p) with an entry fee of 5/- (25p). The prizes played for were often donated by the gentlemen of the Dalhousie Golf Club who were very generous. In 1890 a Miss E Stewart won the Gold Medal with a score of 115 over 36 holes. She was also presented with a set of gold bangles. Second prize on this occasion was a gold scent bottle.
In 1895 the club moved to its new, purpose built clubhouse which has changed very little since these days. In 1899 the upkeep of the course was taken over by the borough commissioners and after the redesigning of all courses by James Braid in the 1920’s, the short ladies’ course was abandoned in favour of the new Ladies’ tees which had been built on the Carnoustie links.
The Carnoustie Ladies’ Golf Club continues in much the same way as it always has, the membership of 100 Ladies’ remains fairly constant. The Gold Medal first played for in 1875 is still played for today as are many other old trophies that have been collected through the years. Carnoustie Ladies’ Golf Club has the proud distinction of being the oldest remaining all ladies’ golf club in the world. We do look to the future however and are nurturing a small but valuable junior section. We also have an overseas membership which we are happy to expand.